[concurrency-interest] Nice video interview with Tim Harris andSimon Peyton-Jones

kg103 at doc.ic.ac.uk kg103 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu Dec 28 14:53:42 EST 2006

Hi,
I agree. STMs also have a number of other subtle problems like not
being able to support strong atomicity due to the ABA problem with CAS
instructions. Plus current solutions for IO are not general enough. Do
you think hardware support is a possible reality or just a dream? the
Hybrid Transactional Memory proposal seems to be a lot more realistic
than previous hardware-only suggestions, although I guess this is up
to chip manufacturers.

Khilan