[concurrency-interest] Thread Pools

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Sat Jul 22 07:56:06 EDT 2006

Patrick Eger wrote:

> IE I would like a:
>
> 1) potentially infinite queue of tasks (currently using a
> LinkedBlockingQueue)
>
> 2) executed by up to MAX threads concurrently
>
> 3) which go away after a period of inactivity, allowing the pool to
> shrink to MIN (or zero) size
>
> 4) preferring to use already existing threads rather than creating new ones

All but (4) are straightforward.

By (4) I assume you mean to use an existing thread only if
it is "idle". This is just about impossible to deterministically
guarantee, at least when using an unbounded queue.
The pool cannot know for sure whether an existing thread is idle.
It only knows whether there are fewer or more than target number
of threads, and whether the queue is full, which it never is for
unbounded ones. Problematic cases include those where an
idle-looking thread is in the process of dequeuing a task and
so will momentarily run it. You might be content with an
implementation that ignores such cases and approximates (4)
by for example, counting threads blocked on workQueue.take.
But it would probably be a bad idea for us to add such capabilities --
they invite a  stream of bug reports when "approximately" doesn't
cover particular use cases well. (For example, here, it is hard
to avoid the pathology of a large number of threads trying
to submit tasks at the same time, and all of them thinking that
they don't need to create a new thread because there is an idle one.)

ThreadPoolExecutor tries to cover as wide a set of use cases as
can all be handled by the same overall design. It does cover most
common uses. But even at that, we have had to revamp parts of the
implementation now and then to get rid of unwanted unforeseen
interactions among various parameters and methods.

So, if you really need this behavior, it looks like you will
need a custom implementation. Or you might decide that plain
newFixedThreadPools are OK for your application after all?

-Doug