[concurrency-interest] Problem with using an unbounded map of Mutex lock objects

Dhanji R. Prasanna dhanji at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 00:08:03 EDT 2006

The lock striping idea is a very interesting. I wonder what your cache
key distribution would like and if it would always have a high enough
entropy to make lock striping effective (versus pooling).

As I see it, the benefits of pooling are:
- no bottleneck until all pool elements are simultaneously in use,
- no overhead of instantiation/gc of new locks for cache keys (this is
also true of striping)

However with lock striping and a sufficiently high entropy of cache
keys (I assume this depends entirely on the target business domain)
you could end up with the same bottleneck on one heavily used stripe,
while the other locks sit idle. I would definitely suggest if the
entropy of cache keys cannot be guaranteed beforehand, that lock
pooling is a better solution (even with the same number of locks).