[concurrency-interest] wikipedia article

Dhanji R. Prasanna dhanji at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 19:36:18 EDT 2006

I came across this article on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-Time_Java

Although I am generally wary of anything wikipedia says, it's often ok for
minor technical definitions and such. But I was bothered when I read the
following points:

It was not immediately suitable for Real
time<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_time>systems for two reasons:

>    - The threading behavior was largely unspecified. This, reputedly,
>    was a concession to Microsoft<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft>to allow for the weak threading models underlying the Microsoft
>    Windows <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows> operating
>    system at the time.
>

>    - Still, there is only one synchronization primitive available for Lock
>    (software engineering)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_%28software_engineering%29>,
>    the Monitor (synchronization)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monitor_%28synchronization%29>pattern, meaning that only code sections can be guarded, not data.

Obviously the article is quite out of date, but was it true that the poor
threading model in early java was a concession to Microsoft?

Also, data can be guarded directly with j.u.c.atomic--if I'm not mistaken,
obviating the second point?

Dhanji.