[concurrency-interest] NullPointerException in ThreadLocal$ThreadLocalMap.replaceStaleEntry

Raj qweries at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 04:16:43 EDT 2006

Hi we have been facing an NPE on an off. The stack trace looks like:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.lang.ThreadLocal$ThreadLocalMap$Entry.access$502(ThreadLocal.java:229)
	at java.lang.ThreadLocal$ThreadLocalMap.replaceStaleEntry(ThreadLocal.java:509)
	at java.lang.ThreadLocal$ThreadLocalMap.getAfterMiss(ThreadLocal.java:362)
	at java.lang.ThreadLocal$ThreadLocalMap.get(ThreadLocal.java:341)
	at java.lang.ThreadLocal$ThreadLocalMap.access$000(ThreadLocal.java:219)
	at java.lang.ThreadLocal.get(ThreadLocal.java:121)
*snip*

This issue has been reported by some elsewhere:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_thread.jsp?message=13741787&cat=10&thread=90185&treeDisplayType=threadmode1&forum=176#13741787.
However, no solution/analysis of the cause has been posted.

The problem occurs sporadicaly and we are having trouble to simulate
the problem. Would appreciate any help in trying to narrow down the
problem.

Thanks,
Raj