[concurrency-interest] Equivalent of scheduleAtFixedRate() for Callable

Brian Goetz brian at quiotix.com
Sat Mar 25 18:34:13 EST 2006

What would such a thing do with the result?  Where would it report an
exception?

A Runnable is a task -- "do something".  A Callable is a function --
"compute something".  Callable is typically used for things you only
need to compute the result of once.

If Callable is a Runnable with a return value, it stands to reason that
you would use a Callable when some activity wants to retrieve that
value.  In the case of scheduling a recurring task, who is retrieving
the value, and what are they doing with it?