[concurrency-interest] Backport limitations

Dawid Kurzyniec dawidk at mathcs.emory.edu
Tue May 2 22:08:40 EDT 2006

Mike Skells wrote:
> Hi
> I noticed (which backporting some code) that the semaphores do not
> allow for multi acquires
>
> Is there a specific reason for this is it just lack of dev resources.
> I use this is current J5 code and I am looking to not try to rewrite
> that code to do the backport
It is the latter (dev resources), plus it seemed low priority comparing
to other things. I didn't have time to sit and analyze how the j.u.c.
implementation avoids the risk of deadlock / starvation, which I suppose
it must do at least for fair semaphores.

I'll try to look into this soon.
Regards,
Dawid