[concurrency-interest] reordering

Bart Jacobs bart.jacobs at cs.kuleuven.be
Fri May 19 07:44:31 EDT 2006

There are multiple ways to explain the Java memory model. One uses the
notion of "reorderings".

There is also a different explanation, which is not in terms of
"reorderings", and which may be clarifying for you. In this other
explanation, in each program execution, all actions performed by a given
thread occur in the order specified by the program (known as the program
order). The only difference with the single-threaded semantics is that,
for fields accessed concurrently by multiple threads, field reads do not
necessarily yield the value written by the most recent preceding write.

In short, the memory model has no effect on single-threaded programs,
and it affects only fields accessed concurrently by multiple threads.

Bart