[concurrency-interest] Creating a Set of pings

Dawid Kurzyniec dawidk at mathcs.emory.edu
Tue May 23 00:01:06 EDT 2006

robert lazarski wrote:
> Could someone please give some advice on these requirements?
>
> 1) Find all IP's on a given subnet that responds to ICMP  (ping). So
> for say 192.168.10.0 <http://192.168.10.0> with a netmask of
> 255.255.255.0 <http://255.255.255.0>, attempt a ping to 255 addresses.
> In java  I believe I can use InetAddress.isReachable(timeout) .

Concurrency issues aside, you may want to try to include some measures
to reduce the amount of generated network traffic (perhaps by using
broadcast echo instead of the network scanning); otherwise you may run
into a risk of having your application looking suspicious to security
administrators. Perhaps see how services like Lisa
(http://lisa-home.sourceforge.net/) do these things.

Regards,
Dawid