[concurrency-interest] synchronized on construction

Thomas Hawtin tackline at tackline.plus.com
Fri May 26 05:29:55 EDT 2006

Jeremy Manson wrote:
> Thomas Hawtin wrote:
>> Jeremy Manson wrote:
>
>>> If you don't have that synchronization in your code, then there you
>>> have a bug.  A data race.  Data races rot the brain and corrupt the
>>> soul.
>>
>> Yeah but my soul is already corrupt and my brain nicely folded.
>
> ... and I'm sure your clients appreciate when that comes out in your code!

Clients?

As I'm sure you are aware, most normal people find it very difficult to
interpret Chapter 17. Applying the rules directly is difficult. Roach
motel is all well and good, but if it isn't exact, how do I know the set
of possible things that could go wrong? As someone trying to ensure the
absence of bugs, I don't care what a compiler can do but what it cannot.

Tom Hawtin
--
Unemployed English Java programmer
http://jroller.com/page/tackline/