[concurrency-interest] Creating a Set of pings

Tim Peierls tim at peierls.net
Mon May 29 17:09:48 EDT 2006

Maybe the approach you are using just doesn't scale very well? There may be
inherent resource limitations on the use of InetAddress.isReachable, etc.
that dominate everything else. If that's the case, it doesn't matter how
carefully or cleverly you code the thread pool usage; you're still bound by
those limitations.

I'm way out of my depth here, but maybe java.nio.channels.Selector could be
useful?

--tim