[concurrency-interest] Request for comment -- weakCompareAndSet specs

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Tue May 30 07:38:39 EDT 2006

I edited the java.util.concurrent.atomic package docs to
incorporate suggestions. See
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/docs/java/util/concurrent/atomic/package-summary.html

You can see diffs most easily as using viewcvs:
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jsr166/src/main/java/util/concurrent/atomic/package.html

I also summarized this in each AtomicX.weakCompareAndSet method
javadoc, as:
      * May fail spuriously and does not provide ordering guarantees,
      * so is only rarely an appropriate alternative to <tt>compareAndSet</tt>.

These are candidate changes for mustang bug 6425639

Any further suggestions would be welcome.

I will also submit an RFE for compareAndSetAcquire and
compareAndSetRelease methods, to be considered for Dolphin
(it is much too late for Mustang). Any further arguments
for and against these would also be welcome.

-Doug