[concurrency-interest] Stopping all the threads and getting thestack frames

David Holmes dcholmes at optusnet.com.au
Thu Oct 26 10:41:53 EDT 2006

Are you talking about from within Java, or how the virtual machine does it?
The VM triggers a global safepoint at which time all the threads have
walkable stacks, and the GC thread can then walk those stacks. The VM itself
maintains the logical Java stack of each native thread as an explicit data
structure.

There are JVMTI API's for an "external agent" to interact with the threads
in a target VM - including, if I recall correctly, a way to get a stack
trace for each thread.

Cheers,
David Holmes