[concurrency-interest] Volatile field use cases?

Jeremy Manson jmanson at cs.umd.edu
Fri Oct 27 02:07:05 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

Some of us were talking off line about the ways in which people use
volatile fields.  They can be used for writing a variety of interesting
data structures, like non-blocking queues, but I have no idea how many
people are doing this.

I thought it might be interesting to ask the crowd here about the more
interesting ways in which you use volatiles.  Do you have something
fabulously interesting that you do?  Do you write non-blocking data
structures?  One thing I don't really know is if people ever write code
that relies on strong guarantees between more than one volatile field --
do you?

Basically, what are you folks using them to do?

All of this is by way of finding out what the impact of the JMM has
been, now that we are a couple of years down the line: seeing what works
and what doesn't, and laying out plans for future memory models.

Thanks,

					Jeremy