[concurrency-interest] Fixed size CopyOnWriteArrayList vs array concurrent access.

Eugene Gordienko egordienko at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 10:35:51 EST 2006

 Hi All,

We use java 1.4. We have a use case: fixed size array of objects and need concurrent access to its elements: almost even number of reads and
writes, also some iterations. The size may be less than 10 but may be more than 100.

So my choice was fixed size CopyOnWriteArrayList (COWAL) ...  but my collegues'  argument  is: when we wrie to COWAL the chunk of it is locked
while in case of array of objects we can lock just on one array element.

What is your experience/suggestion?

Many thanks,
Eugene