[concurrency-interest] unknown version of concurrent backport

Wed Sep 6 05:45:45 EDT 2006

On 9/6/06, Dawid Kurzyniec <dawidk at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:
> Alexandru Popescu wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I know this may sound as a very stupid question, but I couldn't find
> > any references through Google or in the mailing list. I have in one
> > project a dependency on a jar file: util-concurrent (with the package:
> > edu.emory.matchs.util). My problem is that I cannot figure out the
> > original of this file:
> > it is not the initial Doug's work on concurrent
> > (http://g.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/intro.html)
> > nor the backport available here
> > (http://dcl.mathcs.emory.edu/util/backport-util-concurrent/dist/). Can
> > anybody remember anything related to such a jar?
> >
> > many thanks to anybody with better memories than mine
> >

> Is it emory-util-concurrent.jar? If yes, then it is a part of Emory
> Utilities package, that has a few extra concurrency utils built on top
> of the standard ones: http://dcl.mathcs.emory.edu/util/ . Otherwise, it
> might be a very old version of the backport, in which case you should
> upgrade ASAP.

Thanks for the answer Dawid. As I pointed out it is not something from
emory (because of the package names). And yes, I think it is very very
old (somewhere around 2 years, maybe 3).

We are using a very limited part of it and I have checked the backlogs
looking for bug fixes in the classes we are using but without finding
anything critical. I can confess that the size of the jar is one of
the biggest concerns in our case (TestNG: http://testng.org) and the
latest backport-util distributions have doubled their sizes (probably
I may try to trim it down to just the classes we need, but I usually
don't like modifying the distributions because IANAL).

Any advise?

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.