[concurrency-interest] hprof reporting LockSupport.park() taking highest CPU usage

Rajesh Balamohan rbalamohan at sonoasystems.com
Wed Sep 6 11:06:54 EDT 2006

Hi Folks,

When profiling my application with hprof ("cpu=time" option),I noticed
that LockSupport.park() being reported as the most CPU consuming method.

We have some Linked blocking queues in our application. So I think, its
waiting on take() or so rather than really using the CPU.

What I am wondering is, whether the JVM is internally spinning on the CPU
rather than really waiting. Probably that is making this method to crop up
to the top of the list. If so, I guess I need to look for a parameter
which can disable that option so that the CPU cycle can be used for some
other work rather than spinning.

Have you folks faced similar situation?. I am using sun JVM 1.5_04.

~Rajesh.B