[concurrency-interest] hprof reporting LockSupport.park() taking highest CPU usage

Gregg Wonderly gergg at cox.net
Wed Sep 6 19:07:33 EDT 2006

Rajesh Balamohan wrote:
> What I am wondering is, whether the JVM is internally spinning on the CPU
> rather than really waiting. Probably that is making this method to crop up
> to the top of the list. If so, I guess I need to look for a parameter
> which can disable that option so that the CPU cycle can be used for some
> other work rather than spinning.

The profiler only knows the amount of wall clock time spent underneath a
particular part of the call graph/tree of methods.  It is telling you that most
of the wall clock time is spent at park.  This just indicates the places where
your application is 'waiting' for something to do, and is thus idle time, not
busy time.

Gregg Wonderly