[concurrency-interest] BoundedPriorityBlockingQueue ?

Brian Goetz brian at quiotix.com
Tue Sep 12 14:34:39 EDT 2006

> That does sound tricky, but I would think unblocking them in a FIFO
> order of arrival should usually be good enough ?

I don't think FIFO adds much (and it costs something).  The problem is,
what if a low-priority, but long-running task wins the unblocking race
against a high-priority task?  It could delay the high-priority task a
lot.  The effects of this are smaller if (a) the queue size is large or
(b) the number of workers is large; this is really only a problem if the
worker pool AND the queue are small.