[concurrency-interest] concurrency puzzle

Joe Bowbeer joe.bowbeer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 18:32:53 EDT 2006

On 9/12/06, Brian Goetz <brian at quiotix.com> wrote:

> [...] Beyond that, any understanding you have of the underlying
> hardware is probably counterproductive.  (In other words, the more you
> know about cache coherency protocols, the more likely that "hardware
> perspective" is likely to pollute your mental model and get in the way
> of thinking in terms of the JMM.)

In my mental model, I cast the compiler in the role of the Nixon
administration, maintaining cautious optimism (optimization in this
case) in its single-minded pursuit, while preserving plausible
deniability about alleged illegal activities (prohibited actions) that
may have contributed to the result.  This is much more interesting
than reasoning about caches, I say, and it encourages the proper level
of respect for the compiler (well, and loathing, too).