[concurrency-interest] Lock implementation

Dawid Kurzyniec dawidk at mathcs.emory.edu
Thu Sep 28 12:51:35 EDT 2006

Unmesh joshi wrote:
> Hi,
> Most of the commercial Lock implementations rely on low level atomic
> instructions like compare_and_swap. Is there any algorithm that does not
> rely on low level atomic instructions and is commerciall proven?
There is Eisenberg-McGuire algorithm, which does not use atomic operations:

but for the price of much higher overhead (about 8 read and write operations per acquire in uncontended case). I don't know whether it is commercially proven, but it is definitely mathematically proven :)

Look also here for the example distributed locking implementation based on this scheme:

and here, for the JNDI-based use case: