[concurrency-interest] Lock-free mania

David Holmes dcholmes at optusnet.com.au
Sun Apr 15 20:09:38 EDT 2007

> > Lock-free algorithms address the situation where there *is*
> > conflict/contention, and where lock-based techniques would
> > require threads to be blocked.
>
> I am afraid both flavour addresses the situation when there is
> conflict/contention. The main difference is in the abstraction level.

Of course they both address contention. My point was in response to your
statement that lock-free was about the "no conflict" case and that is not
true. Uncontended lock-free can perform worse than uncontended lock-based.
Lock-free addresses contention in a more efficient way that lock-based,
under certain conditions.

David