[concurrency-interest] Lock-free mania

Joe Bowbeer joe.bowbeer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 22:28:16 EDT 2007

On 4/15/07, Szabolcs Ferenczi <szabolcs.ferenczi at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2: When there are frequent conflicts between threads, i.e. under heavy
>   load conditions, it becomes a busy waiting loop and, consequently,
>   it becomes very inefficient just at the critical moment.

I'd like to see examples of badly behaved lock-free implementations.

I've been surprised before at how frequently some combinations of
processes fall into undesirable resonances.  These are especially
apparent in graphics applications, where the resonances result in
visual patterns.  A graphics process that progresses too infrequently
appears "jerky" or even invisible.

When responsiveness or smoothness is as important as performance,
wait-free or fair guarantees are important.

--Joe