[concurrency-interest] 6546713: coll) Clarify meaning of "(optional)" in collections docs

Martin Buchholz Martin.Buchholz at Sun.COM
Tue Apr 17 01:19:08 EDT 2007

Based on recent confusion re: "(optional)" I filed Sun bug:

6546713: coll) Clarify meaning of "(optional)" in collections docs

The implementation is unlikely to change, but at least we can
make the specification a little clearer.

To be very pedantic, changing the spec of a concrete class
to specifiy whether or not the exception is, indeed, optional,
would be an incompatible change, since a subclass of that
concrete class may have chosen differently, and tightening the spec
of the superclass would make the subclass no longer
Liskov-spec-substitutable.

Martin