[concurrency-interest] Lock-free mania

Jeff Schultz jws at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Apr 17 05:09:48 EDT 2007

> > Nobody on this list in running Java on a transputer, so its irrelevant.

> Neither do I. However, I would not say that it is irrelevant, since
> what I said was that context switch is not necessarily an expensive
> operation. I provided you an example for this. Why would it be
> irrelevant?

I don't want to start a flamewar, but from one point of view at least,
the Transputer made context switching relatively fast in large part by
making all other operations relatively slow.  This is not clearly a
winning strategy.

The current approach of running lots of threads essentially
simultaneously seems to work rather better in the region of the
speed/complexity tradeoff we're currently able to reach, and I'd
hazard a guess that those processors will do rather well with
lock-free algorithms.

    Jeff Schultz