[concurrency-interest] Lock-free mania

Gregg Wonderly gregg at cytetech.com
Tue Apr 17 09:34:59 EDT 2007

Jeff Schultz wrote:
>>>Nobody on this list in running Java on a transputer, so its irrelevant.
>
>>Neither do I. However, I would not say that it is irrelevant, since
>>what I said was that context switch is not necessarily an expensive
>>operation. I provided you an example for this. Why would it be
>>irrelevant?
>
> I don't want to start a flamewar, but from one point of view at least,
> the Transputer made context switching relatively fast in large part by
> making all other operations relatively slow.  This is not clearly a
> winning strategy.

Theres not an SMP version (yet), but the aJile AJ series Java uPs have an
extremely quick < 1nS context switch, because the OS-like features of the JVM
are built into the device.  In that kind of environment, locks are relatively
cheap relative to the speed (100mhz) of the clock and the relative execution
times of each instruction/operation.

Gregg Wonderly