[concurrency-interest] Java 6 support in backport-concurrent

Greg Luck gluck at gregluck.com
Tue Aug 14 20:09:13 EDT 2007

Holger

That is good news.

I checked the maven repository. The jar manifest says it was built
with 1.4.2. It is that version
which maven users are getting, so no problem there.

I am going to bundle the 1.4.2 version in my next release, and add
some documentation to dependencies and FAQ to explain
the workaround for Java 6.

On 14/08/2007, at 7:25 PM, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:

> There's no reason to ditch the backport - Java6 users can just use the
> 1.4-flavored backport version! It's what I've been using and it
> works fine
> on all JDKs. The performance impact is a lot less than expected;
> overall
> performance improvements in the Java6 VM outweigh the concurrency
> bits by
> a large factor. Add any kind of I/O to the mix and it becomes even
> less of
> a problem.
> If you want to move ehcache to Java5 in order to take advantage of
> generics and new methods, you can continue to support JDK 1.4
> deployment
> by using retrotranslator (on SourceForge).

Regards

Greg Luck

web: http://gregluck.com
skype: gregrluck