[concurrency-interest] forkjoin.ParallelArray and friends

Neal Gafter neal at gafter.com
Mon Aug 27 18:00:25 EDT 2007

Doug-

The class hierarchy appears to be carefully designed to support specific use
cases. But once you step outside them things don't fare so well. I think
this was intentional to force users into the patterns of code that are most
efficiently handled in the current implementation. But perhaps there is
something about the way the API is supposed to fit together that I just
don't understand.

For example, if I have a parallel array a, I can perform a.withMapping(...)
to map it onto another sequence-like thing. But the resulting thing doesn't
have a withMapping operation, so it isn't possible to apply a mapping (or a
filter) after a mapping; you can't a.withMapping(...).withMapping(...).  A
ParallelArray.WithMapping appears to implement the mapping lazily (on an
as-needed basis). That's a good thing, for a number of reasons. Once you've
mapped, though, the result can only be used to reduce. If you want to map
again, you have to materialize the whole thing using newArray(). That
materializes all the values by applying the mapping (eagerly). That seems an
arbitrary point to force the client to go from lazy to eager evaluation of
the elements. It isn't clear it will result in effective concurrency for
clients that are forced down this route.  I was thinking maybe I could get
the same results (at the cost of reorganizing the client code) by applying a
"composition" operation to two Mappers, but I didn't find a composition
operation in the framework.

I think the whole API should be interface-based.  For example, I think the
results of a.withMapping() should be the ParallelArray interface or some
subtype.  Implement efficiently what you can today.  If the implementation
is interface-based, you can expand the set of use cases that are
efficiently-implemented in the future without changing the API.

Regards,
Neal