[concurrency-interest] forkjoin.ParallelArray and friends

Tim Peierls tim at peierls.net
Mon Aug 27 22:55:00 EDT 2007

Doug warned us not to expect too much from ForkJoin-based programs running
on only one or two processors, so when I tried a comparison of ParallelArray
vs. a hand-coded loop on a single hyper-threaded processor laptop, I was
just hoping the fork-join overhead wouldn't be too egregious. Instead, to my
surprise, the ParallelArray version consistently outperformed the loop
version by 10-20%!

http://dev.priorartisans.com/tim/jsr166y/src/main/java/net/jcip/jsr166y/ParallelArrayVsHandCodedLoop.java

My test program is pretty crude, though. It uses the same tired max senior
GPA example as in the ParallelArray javadoc, and it just alternates between
the two approaches under test, ignoring some warmup runs.

--tim