[concurrency-interest] forkjoin.ParallelArray and friends

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Tue Aug 28 08:28:34 EDT 2007

Michael Hicks wrote:

> Functional programming languages that use polymorphism have performed
> unboxing optimizations to good effect for quite a while now

In defense of JVM implementors, it's a lot more challenging
to do this in OO languages with mutation than in functional
languages. (Digressing: because of mutation, it is usually
easier for OO programmers to get more
predictable performance by manually special-casing.
And I think that predictability of performance ranks
pretty high in goals for a parallel processing library.)

But everyone should feel free to volunteer within some open
source JVM project and implement this for us :-) When you are
done, we can deprecate the special scalar classes.

-Doug