[concurrency-interest] Fork/Join framework with acyclic task graph

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Wed Dec 5 07:37:23 EST 2007

> Some of my tasks have common subtasks. In these cases I would like tasks
> to execute subtasks which have not already been submitted, but merely
> wait on those which have already been submitted by other tasks. For
> example task A has sub tasks C, D, while task B has subtasks D,E.
> Does the fork/join framework permit this type of use?

If you mean that A does: C.join(); D.join(); and
similarly for B, then, sure, this is fine.
So long as the waits are acyclic, the underlying
helping-join mechanics suffice. Non-block-structured
cases might (or might not) use more internal
stack/work-queue space
than other cases, but this rarely an issue.

-Doug