[concurrency-interest] some stupid questions

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Wed Dec 19 11:02:59 EST 2007

Thanks for the suggestions!

Rémi Forax wrote:
> First a remark,
> in the doc of ForkJoinTask, you can see this sentence:
> "The ForkJoinTask class is not directly subclassable outside of this
> package"
> but the constructor is public ?

An oversight. Thanks!

> Else, why ||*ParallelArray
> <http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/jsr166ydocs/jsr166y/forkjoin/ParallelArray.html#ParallelArray%28jsr166y.forkjoin.ForkJoinExecutor,%20int,%20java.lang.Class%29>
> is not a List,
> it provides get/set/size/iterator but if you want a list you need to
> create another object
> using asList(). So basically, why he doesn't inherits from AbstractList
> (and implements RandomAccess) ?

It will be. See the discussion on this a few months ago.
To briefly recap, reformulating as List does better integrate
with other collections, but has a few non-obvious aspects --
mainly that parallelArray.add(x) and similar per-element operations
cannot themselves be threadsafe, which is a little surprising.
But the pluses outweigh the minuses, so the next version will
include all the corresponding adaptations to support List. I've sat
on this pending a couple of algorithmic issues I haven't decided
upon (for example whether/how to parallelize data movement for
element shifts), but ought to put these on hold and implement
correct but suboptimal ones to get this out.

> *I don't like the fact *|*ParallelArray
> <http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/jsr166ydocs/jsr166y/forkjoin/ParallelArray.html#ParallelArray%28jsr166y.forkjoin.ForkJoinExecutor,%20int,%20T%5B%5D%29>*(ForkJoinExecutor
>
> <http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/jsr166ydocs/jsr166y/forkjoin/ParallelArray.html>[] sourceToCopy)|
>
> perform a defensive copy and |*ParallelArray
> <http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/jsr166ydocs/jsr166y/forkjoin/ParallelArray.html#ParallelArray%28jsr166y.forkjoin.ForkJoinExecutor,%20T%5B%5D%29>*(ForkJoinExecutor
> [] handoff)
> don't.
> |*
> Perhaps The constructor
> *|*ParallelArray
> <http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/jsr166ydocs/jsr166y/forkjoin/ParallelArray.html#ParallelArray%28jsr166y.forkjoin.ForkJoinExecutor,%20T%5B%5D%29>*(ForkJoinExecutor
>  should be protected
> and a static method "wrap" introduced.

Do you think this would be enough less error-prone to bother doing?
Bearing in mind that ParallelArrays will normally be large, and
that copying is a sequential bottleneck (parallelizing copying is
of limited value in practice), people will need to think about how
much copying they are doing.

> |I  think all  replace* method  should be renamed  to  fill*  |like in
> java.util.Arrays.
> ||And to be consistent, randomFill() should be fillRandom().

We've at one point or another had this both ways. To me,
the replace prefix sounds a little better.

Other opinions are welcome though. Here's what they look like
with the different prefixes:

     void replaceWithCombination(ParallelArray<? extends T> other,
Ops.Reducer<T> combiner);
     void replaceWithCombination(T[] other, Ops.Reducer<T> combiner);
     void replaceWithGeneratedValue(Ops.Generator<? extends T> generator);
     void replaceWithMappedIndex(Ops.MapperFromInt<? extends T> mapper);
     void replaceWithTransform(Ops.Mapper<? super T,? extends T> mapper);
     void replaceWithValue(T value);

     void fillWithCombination(ParallelArray<? extends T> other, Ops.Reducer<T>
combiner);
     void fillWithCombination(T[] other, Ops.Reducer<T> combiner);
     void fillWithGeneratedValue(Ops.Generator<? extends T> generator);
     void fillWithMappedIndex(Ops.MapperFromInt<? extends T> mapper);
     void fillWithTransform(Ops.Mapper<? super T,? extends T> mapper);
     void fillWithValue(T value);

> I wonder if ||*newArray
> <http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/jsr166ydocs/jsr166y/forkjoin/ParallelArray.WithFilter.html#newArray%28java.lang.Class%29>*(Class
> <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Class.html?is-external=true><?
> super T
> <http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/jsr166ydocs/jsr166y/forkjoin/ParallelArray.WithFilter.html>> elementType
> can't be rewritten to
> <U> ParallelArray<U> newArray(Class<U> elementType) in order to allow
> upcasting
> if possible and a ClassCastException otherwise.

Thanks. You are right that it would be more consistent with other similar
APIs to support this overloaded version.

-Doug