[concurrency-interest] ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor schdeuling problem ?

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Mon Dec 31 16:15:58 EST 2007

Hanson Char wrote:
> Oops, not accuracy but precision, as stated in the System.nanoTime javadoc:
>
>     "This method provides nanosecond precision, but not necessarily
> nanosecond accuracy"
>
> But still, I would imagine it would costs more to compute the
> nano-time than milli-time.

Generally, the opposite, but there are no guarantees.
On most platforms nanoTime is cheaper than currentTimeMillis,
on others about the same. But I don't think there
are any platforms on which the performance
difference is big enough in either direction to
cause anyone to choose one versus the other on performance
grounds alone.

-Doug