[concurrency-interest] Executors, Work Manager, JEE

Ryan LeCompte Ryan.LeCompte at pango.com
Thu Feb 1 10:54:35 EST 2007

Hello,

I'd like to know how "safe" it is to use the new Java concurrency utilities within a JEE container, also taking into account the Work Manager API designed/implemented by IBM/BEA. Traditionally it has been discouraged to spawn your own threads within the JEE container, because the container can't manage those threads, etc. Does the same of thinking hold true if I utilize the new Java concurrency utilities for thread pools, etc? What are my options if my JEE container doesn't support the Work Manager specification (which, if I recall, hasn't even been finally approved as a standard part of JEE).

Thanks,
Ryan