[concurrency-interest] synchronize design

Peter Veentjer alarmnummer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 04:17:14 EST 2007

Another solution would be the following:

Create an Executor with a single thread and let this thread
communicate with the structure (if the structure is accessed by a
single thread, you don't need concurrency control in the structure
itself).

If a client want to read something, it creates a runnable, places it
on the executor and by using a Future the thread can wait for
completion and the result. The same goes for the writes.

And to give writes a higher priority than the reads, you could use a
BlockingQueue as workQueue that is able to deal with priorities. Items
with a higher priority fall through faster than items with a lower
priortity (give the writes a higher priority than the reads).

I guess there are lots of other solutions, but I don't have enough
information to give a good answer.