[concurrency-interest] Are functional languages so much better at concurrency?

serge masse sergemasse1 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 20:13:11 EST 2007

Joel, from joelonsoftware, claimed twice that functional languages are excellent for developing concurrent apps.

He wrote twice that *purely functional programs have no side effects and are thus trivially parallelizable.*

He wrote this here, http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/08/01.html (a great intro to MapReduce, btw), and here: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html

My experience with functional programs goes a long way back, circa 1980s, and I do not seem to recall any significant advantages for concurrency over current mainstream languages, for example, Java.

Do you agree or disagree with Joel on this one?

I'm searching for solutions to the problem of the huge difficulty in developing bug free concurrent apps and your opinion would be important to prioritize my search.

thanks
serge