[concurrency-interest] Questions about testing (CRCG, RNG)

Peter Kovacs peter.kovacs.1.0rc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 15:08:33 EST 2007

Hi,

Following the suggestions in JCIP, I would like to use an ordered CRC
generator to verify input and output data consistency. Can any one
suggest a free Java implementation suitable for use with a large
number of input of numeric type. Would the CRC32 class be appropriate
for this purpose?

Also, I would like to simulate client code doing some unspecified
useful function by calling sleep for a random number of milliseconds.
(The sleep will hopefully have the beneficial side effect of creating
diverse thread interleaving.) I see that the java.util.Random class
has a nextGaussian method, but I thought I may eventually need
something different than standard deviation 1 and may be not even
Gaussian but something skewed toward the left. Am I right to be
concerned about the actual distribution or should Random.nextGaussion
be appropriate for this purpose?

Thanks
Peter