[concurrency-interest] Target CPU utilization

Peter Kovacs peter.kovacs.1.0rc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 17:47:41 EST 2007

On 2/15/07, David Holmes <dcholmes at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Two possibilities I can think of straight away:
>
> - You might not be the only application trying to run on the system.

I thought of that...but most modern operating systems will do a good
job scheduling the running applications fairly. (Even with a single
threaded application, I will not include sleeps in order to yield CPU
time to other apps in the system.)

> - You might want to allow room for handling transient overload.

I am not sure I understand this one. Please, could you elaborate?
(Assume my target is full CPU utilization. Assume I also allow for a
copious wait time ratio. I will create a superfluous number of
threads... Hmm... I'd instinctively think that just the opposite is
true: the less the CPU utilization target, the less I am able to
handle transient overload. Isn't it?)

Thanks
Peter