[concurrency-interest] Target CPU utilization

Peter Kovacs peter.kovacs.1.0rc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 18:14:16 EST 2007

I've been thinking a lot about this. The major challenge about this
aspect in my case that I am facing the task of making a library
multi-threaded. The library will then be sold and built into custom
applications.

How do I best integrate a library into an application context which is
unknown beforehand (in terms of thread pools)? Do I have to share
pools with the enclosing applications?

For example assume our library is used in a GUI application which
itself is built on the NetBeans platform. NetBeans has its own kind of
thread pools: http://www.netbeans.org/download/dev/javadoc/org-openide-util/org/openide/util/RequestProcessor.Task.html.
Does my library have to provide hooks where the application can have
my libraries use the thread management of NetBeans?

Or is the best approach "laisser fair, laisser aller"? And leave it to
"the invisible hand" of the OS scheduler to arbitrate between the
threads of coexisting thread pools?

Thanks
Peter