[concurrency-interest] Target CPU utilization

Ernst, Matthias matthias.ernst at coremedia.com
Fri Feb 16 03:04:40 EST 2007

On a related note: how do you size your pools? Do you really go ahead and size them for each machine they are deployed on? Do you use Runtime.getAvailableProcessors() * ASSUMED_BLOCKING_RATIO?

I'm asking because the .NET runtime provides a vm wide thread pool that reacts to the load conditions and adds more threads if the system is underutilized - albeit slowly (every 500 seconds). I've been wondering whether that is a good idea or an MSFT looks-easy-but-ignores-the-realities feature.

Matthias