[concurrency-interest] Target CPU utilization

Gregg Wonderly gergg at cox.net
Fri Feb 16 10:33:46 EST 2007

Brian Goetz wrote:
> All this said, usually U=1.  And, realistically, setting three pool
> sizes does not have to be that exact, as long as you avoid the extremes
> of "way too small" and "way too big".
>
> That said, if you have a library which will be managing threads, you
> need to present it to the application as a service, with lifecycle
> methods like shutdown().  Otherwise, your user's applications will not
> be able to shut down.  And, if you have a lifecycle interface, that
> gives you room to let the user supply (optionally) an Executor to be
> used to process tasks.

I like having the ability to plug all aspects of thread pooling.  Having a
default implementation that works fine for J2SE would be nice.  Then, you could
provide for plugging a thread factory and as Brian says, even an executor so
that while your library partitions the work, the application could still decide
on the relative priority and queuing necessary to use it effectively.

Gregg Wonderly