[concurrency-interest] Lock-free signaling

David Holmes dcholmes at optusnet.com.au
Sun Feb 18 20:01:12 EST 2007

Joe Seigh writes:
> Is there a way to do signaling without requiring a monitor lock?
> Something like events or eventcounts.   I'm doing an STM implementation
and was
> thinking of adding a listener pattern to it but there's no point in
> making the implementation lock-free if I'm going to need locking to
implement
> signaling.

I don't quite follow the usage context. If the threads you need to signal
are blocked by calling park(), then a lock-free signal is an unpark(). But
the hard part is ensuring no lost signals.

Or do you mean at a lower level? park()/unpark() may ultimately involved OS
locks and condvars.

David Holmes