[concurrency-interest] A Fast Wait-Free HashTable

David J. Biesack David.Biesack at sas.com
Wed Feb 21 08:07:37 EST 2007

Does anyone know more about Cliff Click's wait-free hashtable?

http://cs.stanford.edu/calendar/abstract.php?eventId=2270

"A Faster Wait-Free Hash Table"

"I present a wait-free (lock-free) concurrent Hash Table implementation with better single-thread performance than most Hash Tables, and better (usual much better) multi-thread performance than all other implementations I tried. I demonstrate scaling up to 768 CPUs even with high mutation rates. I show correctness by looking at the problem in a very different light than the usual "happens-before" / memory-order / fencing style of thinking -- indeed the algorithm requires no memory-ordering, no memory fencing, no D-CAS and no CAS-spin-loops."

Sounds interesting. Has anyone seen or reviewed the design or implementation, or comparisons to ConcurrentHashMap?

See also Tim O'Reilly's blog:

 http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/02/a_fast_waitfree_1.html

--
David J. Biesack     SAS Institute Inc.