[concurrency-interest] dealing with people that questionvisibility problems

Gregg Wonderly gregg at cytetech.com
Wed Feb 21 13:44:04 EST 2007

Ernst, Matthias wrote:
>>If objects are used in a multi threaded environment, you <b>have</b>
>>to make your objects thread safe.
>
> I do not agree here. I have to document how to use them in a thread-safe
> manner. With setter based injection that means to me: "Do not call
> setters after construction/publication except if explicitly allowed."

This is the "knowledge" that is problematic.  Demanding a particular usage
sequence that is not controlled by the system is where we have created the
biggest problems for concurrent programming.

This is an important issue that the current hardware implementations and
associated software interfaces have not provided suffient tools for the
developer to manage the issues effectively.  There is no way to demonstrate
correct software.  There are only tools that find some of the potential
incorrect software.

Gregg Wonderly