[concurrency-interest] ConcurrentHashMap use of MAXIMUM_CAPACITY in Segment.rehash()

Rachel Suddeth programm_r at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 08:19:43 EST 2007

--- Doug Lea <dl at cs.oswego.edu> wrote:

> MAXIMUM_CAPACITY is used just to avoid integer
overflow
> for index calculations. But you are right that a
tighter
> bound could be used here to also avoid unproductive
growth of
> segments. Thanks for the suggestion! We'll probably
adjust
> accordingly.

Thanks :)
In practice it probably doesn't matter (at least to
me) -- we will need to archive or consolidate before
getting that many entries anyway if we don't want to
run out of memory. I was just afraid I misunderstood
something else when the number wasn't what I expected...