[concurrency-interest] Initializing a map inside a constructor

Howard Lewis Ship hlship at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 12:23:00 EST 2007

I'm seeing some very strange effects in my code under load.  I've been
reviewing Brian Goetz's concurrency book, but I have a scenario I
frequently use that I have come to suspect:

I often have classes with a final field of type Map.

I initialize the Map, loading values inside the constructor.  I never
change the contents
of the Map outside of the constructor.

I don't use a guard (i.e. synchronized) to access the map from other code.

Is this thread safe, or do I need to synchronize the methods (or wrap
the map in a synchronzing wrapper)?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.