[concurrency-interest] Concurrency-interest Digest, Vol 26, Issue 7

David Holmes dcholmes at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 6 23:48:02 EST 2007

In early 2003 we thrashed out the details of the timed-blocking methods. At
that time we opined that anyone prepared to handle timeouts should also be
prepared to handle interrupts. We added awaitUninteruptibly as a concession
to the occasional need to have to wait for some condition regardless of
cancellation requests, and because it was a trivial implementation.
Generally the blocking methods do not have non-interruptible forms because
they are all considered cancellation points.

If we added awaitNanosUninterruptibly you could argue that all
timed-blocking methods should have an uninterruptible form. I don't think
they are needed often enough to warrant library inclusion.

Cheers,
David Holmes