[concurrency-interest] Using on Applications Server

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Thu May 17 18:52:30 EDT 2007

Dhanji R. Prasanna wrote:

> It is not recommended to start/manage threads inside an app server. The
> Java EE programming model is to rely on the framework to handle threads.
> However, the concurrency utilities are much more than thread management
> and many of these artifacts can safely be used inside an appserver
> (example: locks to synchronize access to shared objects).
>
> I believe Doug Lea is leading a concurrency package JSR for EE
> environments too.

I didn't lead it, but there is a preview draft available for
JSR236-237 at http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/concurrencyee-interest/index.html
(This was due mainly by Chris Johnson of IBM.)
The JSR236-237 effort itself hit some messy JCP logistic problems
so this is in limbo. I'm not sure how long, but possibly until
some JCP rules are changed via JSR306. Which itself not likely soon.
Sigh.

-Doug