[concurrency-interest] santa clause problem solved?

jason marshall jdmarshall at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 18:19:08 EDT 2008

In the Ada example, Santa knows that there is work to be done (wakes
up), and figures out which is more pressing.  They've elected Santa as
the Actor in the solution, even though the original problem makes the
elves and the reindeer the actors and Santa is more or less acted
upon.  In doing so, they make the prioritization phase trivial, and I
suspect that the 'right' Java solution has to find a way to work in
the same manner.

-Jason

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:21 AM, Joe Bowbeer <joe.bowbeer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Btw, I forget that the PriorityQueue doesn't preserve insertion order
>  for elements of equal priority.  The simulation can be fixed by adding
>  a sequence number to Santa's tasks.  I can post the updated code if
>  there's interest.

- Jason