[concurrency-interest] ConcurrentReferenceMap enhancement to 166 - Feedback Requested

Jason Mehrens jason_mehrens at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 16 16:53:35 EDT 2008

Jason

Here is my $0.02. > 1) Should the IDENTITY_COMPARISONS option apply to values and keys, or > just to keys as it does now? If not, should there be separate options > for both?

It has reference in the name so I would only allow identity comparisons.
> > 2) Should the key reference type, and the value reference type be merged > into the option enum, instead of providing separate parameters? This > reduces the number of overloaded constructors, but introduces the > problem of having a combination of mutually exclusive options (WEAK_KEYS > + SOFT_KEYS).

Probably should keep key type and value type as separate parameters.
Why not use the class type of the references.
I.E. ReferenceMap.newMap(WeakReference.class, Reference.class) //weak keys, strong values.
Maybe that is too much of an enum anti-pattern.
> > 3) Should the configuration values be exposed via get methods so that > calling code can introspect the map configuration? Currently none of the > standard collections allow you to do this (load factor, etc).> No.

-Jason Mehrens